When Neighbors Ask
June 2, 2020
What do you say when a friend, family member or neighbor asks a question about a specific topic pertaining to FirstEnergy? Take for instance, the company’s appliance recycling program. Here is info that you can share.
If they ask if the utility is offering our Appliance Turn-In Program:
- Starting June 1, FirstEnergy customers in Maryland and Pennsylvania can once again get paid for recycling inefficient appliances in an environmentally friendly way. The Appliance Turn-In Program had been suspended since March 18 in response to COVID-19.
- The program provides payments for recycling old, working refrigerators or freezers. Potomac Edison customers in Maryland can receive $75, while customers of Met-Ed, Penelec and West Penn Power in Pennsylvania can receive $50. Penn Power is not participating at this time.
- Customers may also include a working air conditioner or dehumidifier along with a qualifying refrigerator or freezer to receive an additional $25.
- For everyone’s safety, a new, no-contact pick-up process is in place. Pick-ups will be limited to appliances located outdoors or in a garage, driveway, porch or outbuilding.
- Customers can call 888-277-0527 or visit www.energysaveMD.com in Maryland and www.energysavePA.com in Pennsylvania to schedule a pickup.
- The pick-ups will be processed by a third-party contractor named ARCA.
- The company is working on restarting the program in Ohio and will let customers know when it’s again available.