When Neighbors Ask
September 3, 2021
What do you say when a friend, family member or neighbor asks a question about a specific topic pertaining to FirstEnergy? For example, the security steps we are taking to help keep online customer accounts safe. Here is info that you can share.
If they ask why they received a message from FirstEnergy saying they must reset their password to access their online My Account:
- As part of our security processes to help keep your accounts safe, we regularly monitor FirstEnergy’s website and customer online accounts.
- We recently detected suspicious activity involving numerous attempts to log in to customer accounts using credentials obtained from a source outside of FirstEnergy. While the vast majority of these attempts were unsuccessful, we became aware that a number of unauthorized log ins were completed.
- There was and is no threat or impact to electric service reliability. None of FirstEnergy’s networks were accessed without authorization, nor were our company operations impacted by this activity.
- Out of an abundance of caution, we have disabled all online account access and are requiring our customers to reset their passwords.
- To update their password and access their account:
- Go to FirstEnergy’s website at www.firstenergycorp.com and click Log In
- On the Log In page, type your current Username and Password and click Log In
- Because your account is locked, you will automatically be redirected to the Account Locked page to unlock your account
- We have no evidence that any of the suspicious logons altered, accessed or retrieved any of the customer information available when accessing an account.
- Importantly, no sensitive customer information, such as complete bank account or full credit card information is available through the online account access.
- Although the company is not aware of any evidence that customer information was misused, we recommend that they remain vigilant. As always, please be cautious of any unsolicited communications that ask you to provide your personal information electronically and avoid clicking on any links or downloading attachments from suspicious emails. We will, for example, never ask you for your financial information via email or phone.
Is there is a topic you’d like to know more about? Please send it to email@example.com