Tips for Safe Disinfection
June 1, 2020
Disinfecting in the workplace remains a top priority and it’s important to be smart when using chemical cleaning products. Created with germ killing potency, these products should be used separately because they can create health hazards when mixed.
Bleach for example, is great for disinfection when diluted properly – but caution should be taken because it can do more than ruin your clothes. Here’s why the following should never be mixed with bleach:
- Ammonia mixed with bleach converts the chlorine in bleach to chloramine gas. Breathing in the vapors can cause coughing, shortness of breath, and pneumonia.
- Acidic compounds such as vinegar or window cleaner create chlorine gas when mixed with bleach. Excessive exposure can cause chest pain, vomiting, and even death.
- Alcohol converts to chloroform when mixed with bleach. Breathing in chloroform can cause fatigue, dizziness and fainting.
Be sure to ventilate the area you’re working in and observe these tips at home – especially in small areas like bathrooms or showers.