Running Essential Errands
October 8, 2020
Picking up groceries, banking and filling up the gas tank are essential errands that require a little more thought and preparation due to COVID-19. Fortunately, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provide some useful guidelines to follow to help keep us and those around us healthy and safe.
- Stay home if you are not feeling well.
- Use online services when available.
- Wear masks in public settings and when around people who don’t live in your household.
- Use social distancing (stay at least 6 feet away from others).
- Use hand sanitizer (containing at least 60% alcohol) frequently and wash your hands with soap and water when possible.
When getting groceries:
- If possible, order groceries and other items online for home delivery or curbside pickup at your local grocery store.
- When in the store, wear a mask.
- Go during hours when fewer people will be there – especially if you are at higher risk for severe illness – and stay at least 6 feet away from others.
- Disinfect the shopping cart using disinfecting wipes if available.
- Only touch products that you plan to purchase, if possible.
- Avoid any food samples or items from self-service stations.
- If possible, use touchless payment or use hand sanitizer immediately after touching money, a card or a keypad.
- Bank online when possible.
- Use drive-thru banking services, ATMs or mobile banking apps for routine transactions that do not require face-to-face assistance.
- When doing any in-person banking, wear a mask and look for bank employees who are also wearing masks and using plexiglass barriers.
- Use hand sanitizer after any deposit, withdrawal, exchange, drive-thru visit or use of an ATM. Then wash your hands thoroughly when possible.
- Avoid being within 6 feet of others.
- Use disinfecting wipes on handles and buttons (if available) before you touch them.
- After fueling, use a hand sanitizer. Then wash your hands with soap and water when possible.
Some activities are necessary for everyday life. By following these precautions, you can increase your chances of staying healthy while picking up groceries, banking and getting gas. For more tips from the CDC, visit CDC.gov.*
Employees can find information on the company’s response to COVID-19 on the FirstEnergy Today portal, the Corporate Health & Safety SharePoint site or MyFirstRewards.com . Please print and post important information for employees who do not access the portal routinely.
*By clicking the link in this article, you are entering a website maintained by an outside party, which is entirely responsible for the site’s content.