Providing the Power to Report, Track Service Interruptions
May 26, 2020
FirstEnergy provides multiple options for customers to notify us about a power outage. Whether they prefer sending a text message or calling on the phone, it’s never been easier to report service interruptions and to receive updates on the status of the outage. Customers can report an outage by:
- Calling our Outage Reporting Line at 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877)
- Texting the word “OUT” to 544487 (LIGHTS)*
- Visiting www.firstenergycorp.com from a computer, tablet or mobile device
Regardless of the method used, it’s important for customers to notify FirstEnergy about an outage because these reports are critical to helping us identify interruptions in electric service, pinpoint the damage location and restore power quickly and efficiently.
Did You Know?
Customers with hearing or speech disabilities can contact the Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS) at 711 to report a power outage. This service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Even if a neighbor has already reported a power interruption, customers should let us know their lights are out. The more notifications we receive, the more accurately FirstEnergy’s Outage Management System (OMS) can determine the extent of the outage and its cause.
Once a service interruption has been logged into OMS, there are several ways customers can track the progress being made to restore service, including the estimated restoration time, cause of the outage and crew status.
- Text the word “STAT” to 544487 (LIGHTS)*
- Log into their account at www.firstenergycorp.com
- View current outages and restoration updates on our 24/7 Power Center outage maps
During widespread outage events (e.g., severe weather), restoration updates are also shared through FirstEnergy’s social media accounts.
Customers can access more information about what to do if their lights go out, including preparing an emergency outage kit and tips to keep your family safe at www.firstenergycorp.com/outages.
* Message and data rates may apply. Additional details about FirstEnergy’s text messaging and related services can be found on our communication tools page.