Energy Saving Tips for Your Home
June 23, 2020
Summer is now officially underway. With the start of a new season comes a fresh opportunity to find ways to save energy and money. Here are just a few simple things you can do to improve the energy efficiency and comfort of your home as warmer temperatures arrive:
- Service your air conditioner. Easy maintenance such as routinely replacing or cleaning air filters can lower your cooling system’s energy consumption by up to 15%.
- Use ceiling fans. Cooling your home with ceiling fans should allow you to raise your thermostat four degrees. It can help lower your electricity bills without sacrificing overall comfort.
- Cook outside. On warmer days, keep the heat out of your home by using an outdoor grill instead of the oven.
- Install window treatments. Energy efficient window treatments such as blinds, shades and films can reduce heat gain when temperatures rise.
- Seal air leaks. Eliminating leaks around doors and windows keeps warm air out.
- Set the thermostat. If you have a programmable thermostat, set it to a higher temperature when you will not be home on warmer days.
- Seal ducts. Air loss through ducts can reduce your air conditioning efficiency by nearly a third. Sealing and insulating ducts can go a long way toward lowering your electricity bills.
Check out more energy saving tips on our FirstEnergy web site.