8 Productive Things You Can Do at Home
May 10, 2020
Families are home, businesses are closed and events are canceled. Without our busy lifestyle schedules, it’s important to create routines to enjoy your free time and find meaningful ways to spend long days at home. Consider the following ideas to help add structure and accomplishment to your days.
- Order prints. Is your phone storage always full? This is a great time to get it under control. Clear the photos off your phone and order photo books or prints. If you order prints, you may need new picture frames and/or albums to put them in.
- Brighten someone’s day. Call a local assisted living center and ask if they are accepting cards of cheer for residents. Then ask how many they need. Get your kids and neighbors involved to make sure enough are made. Many centers have designated areas outside the entrance for package drop offs – be sure to call and let them know when you do.
- Organize and minimize your inbox. Spend 15 minutes deleting and filing messages in your personal email account. You’ll be amazed at how much you can reduce your email storage space in a small amount of time. Even better – try doing this every day for the next five days.
- Wash and store winter items. Wash winter coats, hats and gloves that are launderable. Set aside for donation items that your family members have outgrown, and properly store the rest.
- Plan meals. With the need to make limited trips to the grocery store, meal planning is more important than ever. You probably aren’t packing lunches, but everyone still needs to eat – and stores have uneven inventory, which makes planning even more important. Try to think of back-up meals in case the store doesn’t have what you need and consider making extra of something (like lasagna, for example) so you can freeze it for later.
- Wash backpacks. It’s a good time to get school bags cleaned and germ-free for when your kids go back to school. While you’re at it – wash your reusable grocery bags too.
- Don’t forget your car. Brighten up your ride with a good cleaning on the inside. Vacuum floors and seats, wipe down surfaces and clean the windows.
- Refresh your bookcases. Take all the books off the shelves and place books you no longer want in a bag to donate. Wipe down the shelves an put everything back in a new configuration. You might even reconnect with a favorite book you’ll want to read again.